Welcome to Exeter Quay Counselling. My name is Barbara Matheson, and I’m a very experienced counsellor based in Exeter City Centre and online.
I work one-to-one with adults at all stages of their lives.
The services that I offer fall under two categories – Counselling and Supervision.
- Counselling allows us to explore issues that may be affecting you, and how you can better deal with them.
- Supervision gives you the opportunity to get guidance and support for you and your work.
For more on each of the services, click the link above, or visit the section via the menu on the left-hand side of this page.
How It Works
Choosing someone to work with for counselling or supervision, can be difficult. It’s important that you find someone that you feel is a good fit for you.
Have a read of the appropriate section on this website (see the menu down the left-hand side of this page), so you can understand more about the area that you would like me to help you with.
After that, our first step would be to have a half hour informal consultation to discuss your requirements and expectations. This first meeting is the chance for you tell me a little more about yourself, and for me to share how the process works. This will give you the chance to get a better feel for whether you would feel comfortable working with me, and vice versa. This is available at the special introductory price of £20.
I am based at PAC Exeter, a community of counsellors, counselling supervisors and psychotherapists, situated in the heart of the city. You can find out more about PAC Exeter at https://pacexeter.co.uk/
Counselling sessions are currently carried out online via video conferencing. I can talk you through how it works before you start, and answer any questions you may have.
To arrange a meeting, or to discuss any of the services I offer in more detail, you can contact me by calling 07740 678218, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or using the form in the Contact section of this website.
A Client’s Experience of Counselling
This real feedback from a client gives you insight into one person’s experience of being in counselling and the benefits they gained.
- At all times I felt safe and “held” even when I had a “health event”
- You helped me approach the issue that had me stuck by shining a spotlight from different angles. This insight gave clarity to something that had seemed so clouded.
- You worked hard to understand the “environment” and cultural context around the situation.
- You were gently challenging when that was needed to clarify things that were in my “blind spot”
- You were always warm and empathetic
- You allowed me to identify my own path, but I was interested to hear your insightful reflections on other areas that were on the “periphery”
- You enabled me to make connections where I couldn’t see them.
- You connected me to my “heart” and guided me to confront the pain.
- You used humour to connect and deepen the therapeutic relationship.
- You have helped me find ways to manage a difficult situation.